Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Jeopardy!

I generally despise television game shows, but I have to be honest, I love Jeopardy! I love that players match wits on random subjects. I love that they have to buzz in to answer. I love that they answer in the form of a question. I love the clever categories and questions. I think Alex Trebek is a smooth guy. I love the intangible aspect of the daily doubles. I love that there is a strategy to betting with the money you have earned. I love that you have to put it all on the line in Final Jeopardy! I even love that it has an exclamation point in the actual title!

However, there is one part of the show that drives me bananas. The first commercial break takes place halfway through the first round. After the break, Alex Trebek is waiting to "meet" the players. He spends about a minute with each contestant, and it is always extremely awkward. It has little to do with the debonair Trebek and everything to do with the fact that the majority of the contestants are eggheads with zero personality.

The conversations are always about something that is supposed to be "interesting" about the contestant. I am sure that they have to fill out some card before the show with their name, where they are from, and then there is the spot that says "Something interesting about you..." I can just see the contestant struggling to put something down, recalling that their life has mainly been about reading books and spending time with a computer.

For this reason alone, I will never attempt to be a contestant on Jeopardy! I also feel bad for Mr. Trebek, who has to laugh at their poor attempts at humor and give the appearance that he is actually interested in their coy quips.

This definitely needs to go on my list. Here is how it now stands:

1. Wearing a cell phone on your hip
2. The idea that a nice smile is the "normal" way to pose for a photograph
3. People who cut to the front of a traffic back-up when they know they need to get over
4. Local TV Newspeople
5. Confirmational Reactionist
6. Wearing a blue tooth headset as a fashion accessory
7. Putting Bullethole stickers on your car
8. Placing a fake baseball on your car that gives the allusion that it has shattered your window
9. People who litter
10. Ignorcycles
11. Bumper stickers
12. Cheesy Church Signs
13. The player introduction part of Jeopardy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i was thinking i would come by here and get some kind of conversation of the Rob Bell speaking deal. Hmmm... you must be busy, i'll call.
Peace